Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Anticipation...

3 Days Left

Three days until takeoff and I'm finally starting to believe that its real! I've been planning, preparing, and dreaming about this trip for the last ten months and its finally here. I seem to be fluctuating between excitement and per-homesickness. There have been a few times this week where I've felt incredibly homesick (while I sit in my living room) and anxious. Its sort of hard to admit, but I am experiencing some trepidation. While I am beyond excited to begin my lifetime of adventuring, this seems to be the first time I have actually thought about what it means to leave for an extended period of time.

 For four and a half months I won't be able to hug my family, play with me dogs, see my friends--the list goes on. But as hard as it is to give these things up for a short time, I feel that we gain something invaluable. As corny as it sounds, you really begin to feel true appreciation for the commonplace place things in your life. People you see everyday become more special and you begin to see relationships in a new light.

My family
Coming out of the holiday season, I feel especially grateful for the people in my life. It may even be making it harder to leave! But I know they are just excited as I am for the adventure that will soon begin. That's the wonder of traveling in a digital age. Travel doesn't have to be a completely isolating, private affair. In fact, it can be life changing for others, as well. While there is probably no substitute for actually going to a place, the articles and pictures that we bring back with us can be highly influential. They can inspire others to set off on their own journeys, or cause someone's world to expand a little more. I only hope that my travels can do the same.

Lately, the importance of recording your traveling experiences has really been impressed upon me. I downloaded a great book on my Nook the other day, Writing Away. The book is all about the importance of keeping  a travelogue, whether it be handwritten or electronic. The author focuses a lot on handwritten journaling and had really compelled me to start a handwritten journal of my own. I do regret not keeping a better journal on my trip to Europe. I did take a fair amount of pictures, but an accompanying story would have been great as well.

Packing my suitcase (1st round)


Along with my journaling and blogging preparations, I have begun packing. And repacking. And repacking again. I feel a bit guilty about the amount of stuff I'm taking (yet at the same time lamenting about not being able to take my new, fluffy robe). I dream of being an ultralight backpacker, needing just the bare essentials to get by. I've already filled a large suitcase and a 40L backpack. Sigh. To be fair, though, I have to take all my textbooks and five months of daily contacts with me. I swear Lasik is next on my list of things to save for.



All the luggage
 Well, back to packing. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment