Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A Week in Tokyo: Food!

Fake food displays at a restaurant--amazingly detailed.
Tokyo is a food lover's dream: bento, sushi, sashimi, ramen, tempura, soba, gyoza and so much international food. The Japanese have it going on in the culinary department. There was not a single meal that I didn't really enjoy--and half of them were from 7-Eleven.

Yep, that's right, 7-Eleven. Every time I walk past a boring, bento-less 7-Eleven in America, I will shed a tear. Much like my other favorite convenience store, Family Mart, you can find endless combinations of lunches. Noodles, sushi (fresh everyday), sandwiches, slices of cheesecake, bento boxes, burritos, tea eggs (China)--THEY HAVE EVERYTHING. I've seen whole spaghetti dinners in there.

And we're not talking about crusty-heat-lamp-pizza-sticks, mystery-meat-burgers, and cup-a-noodles (though you can certainly find those, too). The food is fresh and edible, convenient and satisfying. I had a strict food budget during my trip to Tokyo, so I ate many lunches at 7-Eleven, Family Mart, and Lawson. I am my father's daughter ;)

CW from top left: Maid Cafe, Cute Cafe, Sesame Ice Cream, Restaurant

If you don't plan on eating at convenience stores during the entirety of you stay in Tokyo (which you shouldn't), there are thousands of other options. Around every corner there's a wonderful culinary surprise. Like, for instance, black sesame ice cream. This flavor needs to be imported to the US asap. Gray ice cream may not seem appetizing, but the nutty flavor is very addictive. 

If you're a creeper you can check out a maid cafe. Infantilized women in french maid costumes who call you "master"--lunch anyone? I think not. But to each his own (pervert).

Bento and other yummy lunches!

I had heard that the food (and everything else) in Tokyo is expensive. That's simply untrue. Its a big city and there are as many options as there are people. If you're smart, you can end up spending less on food than you would in a country like Cambodia (side-note: Cambodia is WAY more expensive than I would have thought. So far China has been the cheapest country to travel in).

Cute steamed buns
Of course the sushi was wonderful, fresh, authentic--everything you want your sushi to be. But there's so many other foods to sample in this city, don't limit yourself to the classics. Eat your way through the city. Indulge in every 'twee' pork bun, novelty gyoza, and Hello Kitty shaped ongiri. You haven't been to a city until you've tasted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment